Wednesday, January 5, 2011

First two days!!

Hello all!
So, last night I arrived in Heathrow, London with my fellow Stout friends Brooke and Laura! We went through customs and I got my first stamp in my passport, which allows me to be here on a student visa and no longer than 6 months.
After going through customs, we found our luggage and proceeded to find our taxi driver. Our cab was a small, yet sizable van and we were then taken on a drive to our housing in Islington. As we were driving, I noticed that we drove on the opposite side of the road (left side) and that the roads were narrower. It seemed like a swirling maze in some parts. We also kept passing these townhouses that were all connected and made of different color bricks, somewhat of a colonial old-town look. It looked like we were in a storybook because all the buildings were for the most part connected and something you'd see on Harry Potter.
Finally, we reached a black gate and a man was standing outside of it. His name was Tony and we soon came to know he was the cultural activities guide. I, along with Brooke and Laura were shown our rooms and then went to a short orientation. We were taken on a tour of how to get to the AIU campus and back. I learned how to use the subway or Tube as they call it. We used our oyster card which allows us to add pounds to it if we are running low. So, what we would do is place the card on top of a scanner and go through a small opening and wait for all the students. We then went down stairs to the subway and figured out by map how to find our school and if we were to go east or west. We ended up on Marylebone High Street, and had to walk up it for awhile and there we found AIU, right in the middle of central London.
After arriving at AIU, we were shown the buildings our classes were in, which are ideally located right behind the main AIU building. The buildings are almost lined up in somewhat of a culdasac all next to each other and each department whether it be fashion or business has its own building. After our tour around we were shown how to get back to our flats by the Tube and which routes to take. It was definitely time for bed after getting back, but some of my new flatmates and i decided to go to Tesco, which is like a walgreens and get some easy food to make. When we got back from grocery shopping we made dinner and then went to sleep.
My little room is pretty nice although my bathroom reminds me of an airplane bathroom but slighly larger. The shower is like a time capsule and the water doesn't flow very well, but at least its warm. I have a large desk, which is nice along with a full or queen sized bed! I definately had to get used to plugging in my converter and making sure it was the right voltage for the outlets, along with using the correct converter. All my appliances work though, yay!
The next day, I had my first class which was The History of London. So, with a couple friends we took the Tube to AIU and we arrived in a small classroom and waited for the teacher. He was quite nice and was wearing a light pink v-neck sweater and jeans, with some leather shoes. We learned about the history of london from 43AD to year 2000 in two hours and 15 minutes. He just condensed everything and talked to us about the most important events that impacted London and how the city came to be. We will be keeping a journal as a keepsake and as one of our final assignments and bring it everywhere we go, as we tour london's historical places and landmarks, which is pretty neat I think! When the class ended, I went and got a cellphone and had lunch a small cafe called Joe's near campus. It was so yummy! I had a sandwhich on ciabatta bread which came with tomato, fresh mozzarella and proscuitto. It was one of the best warm sandwiches I've ever tasted!
After browsing around for awhile and going into a couple boutiques, a couple friends and I headed back and took a break. We then went to dinner down a couple blocks at a small deli, like those ones you'd find in New York. We had delicious paninis! Then it was time to discover the night life. We ended up going to a place called the Sports Cafe in Picadilly Circus area. It was free for students to get in, but if you wanted a beverage or food that had to be payed for. It was really fun and different. There was dancing and an amazing dj! We were out pretty late because we didn't get there until after 10pm, but most of us didn't have class the next day or not until afternoon, so that's good. So, gettting home was quite the adventure, since the Tube closes at midnight. My friends Ashley-Morgan, Brooke and Haley decided to take a bus route home, but we ended up only going so far on the bus and then took a taxi the last 3 minutes because we had no idea what bus to switch to. We got back to our flats though safe and sound and went to bed after a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment